Thursday, September 21, 2017

Late Summer in Baltimore - 2017

Sep 14 thru Sep 21

--Blogpost written by Bob



Now that we're finally through with the recent 3-1/2 weeks in the boatyard, we're anxious to get some last minute projects done and begin our planning and provisioning for the Exumas.  We expect to leave in mid-October--about one month from now!



Dusk in Baltimore Harbor in mid-September


We have six projects remaining that will probably get completed:
     (1) make new acrylic companionway door
     (2) change engine oil & filter
     (3) fasten FORTRESS anchor near bow
     (4) make shoe rack for under dining table
     (5) RAINMAKER: test it & buy spare filters
     (6) refinish teak toe rail
  
There are two more projects that will be done if time allows:
     (7) check all fresh water hoses; repair & replace as necessary
     (8) put double clamps on all fresh water hose connections


Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Last Days in Boatyard - 2017

--Blogpost written by Bob



Having picked up the repaired transmission on Friday afternoon, we were in Hartge's Yacht Yard in Galesville Maryland over this past weekend, waiting for the installation on Monday morning.  

On Saturday, I installed a fuel-water separator for our dinghy outboard--this prevents water being introduced into the engine from the fuel line and it also filters out debris in the fuel.



The fuel-water separator is installed in the fuel line between the fuel
tank (in the bow) and the engine.  It is mounted on the
dinghy's transom with stainless steel bolts.

Note our new 6 HP outboard!


Friday, September 8, 2017

Third Week in Boatyard - 2017

--Blogpost written by Bob



Today (Saturday, September 2) begins our third week in the boatyard, after we discovered a leaking transmission seal.  The leak is just drops, maybe five or ten minutes apart.  There is no doubt about the fact that it now leaks slightly.  My boatyard believes it was due to improper engine alignment during our re-powering this past winter (but this was later believed to be incorrect).  However, the question that keeps lingering in my mind is why the leak didn't show up until now.  We traveled about 1800 miles since our re-powering and I regularly checked, and even changed, transmission fluid during that time.  Is it possible that (with some minor engine misalignment) it took 1800 miles for a leak to develop in the transmission seal? 



This is an image of an old waterman's boat that was pushed
into the marsh to die from the elements.  We
found this sunken boat during a recent
excursion on our dinghy.

Friday, September 1, 2017

Second Week of Haulout - 2017

--Blogpost written by Bob




You would think that once you have a sailboat ready to cruise, that the list of the boat projects would cease to exist BUT it doesn't work that way.  We've had a number of things that failed during our first season in the Bahamas, a number of improvements we wanted to make, as well as the normal maintenance projects.  We've completed 67 projects this summer and we still have about 13 to go.  We have about eight weeks remaining to complete them...


Work is progressing on the bow repairs in the boatyard--the gel coat application was completed near the end of this week.  The surface finishing and the matching of the gel coat takes a lot of skill.



After several steps of putting on fiberglass layers, filling, and sanding,
Brent is spraying the gelcoat over the repaired surface.


Sunday, August 27, 2017

First Week of Haulout - 2017

--Blogpost written by Bob



On Friday night, with Maggie's daughter's help, we moved our car to Galesville, about 90 minutes south of Baltimore by car.  On Saturday morning, we motored to Galesville.  There wasn't much wind, even though we motor-sailed for a little while.  It took six hours to travel from our summer slip in Baltimore Harbor to Galesville.  During the trip, we could not exceed 2100 RPM.  I believed that barnacle growth on the prop was preventing us from motoring faster.  (After haulout we could see the barnacle growth that was slowing us down.)  We were still moving in excess of 6 knots most of the morning and we seemed to have a favorable tidal current.  (Prior to our recent trip to the Bahamas, I never noticed much tidal current in the Chesapeake Bay.)



On the day before we left for Galesville, Lizzie
could tell that something was different.