Saturday, July 20, 2019

2019 Haul Out - Part 2

July 17 thru July 20

—Blogpost written by Bob


Wednesday, July 17



I thought a lot about the gouges on our propeller shaft and as a mechanical engineer I can attest to the fact that they would have very little structural impact but it is not a good thing.  Rather than try to address it within this haul out, I'm leaning toward getting a new shaft made during next summer's haul out and change the shaft seal at the same time.  I met with Luke and Alex and we agreed on this course of action.




I would call this a proper yacht tender.  It has
mahogany seats, bronze seat brackets,
and a full canvas rub rail all around.
(It was tied to the county
pier in Galesville.)

A couple more images from Galesville in the early morning:



A skipper boards his moored sailboat
in the early morning hours.


An old car sits rusting next to a
liquor store in Galesville--it
hasn't moved in many
years. (I think this
car is a 1953.)


Everything moves slower in Galesville than in areas north of here.  Life seems to have more quality in south county (as this area is commonly called).

----------

I drove back to Annapolis and returned the plastic welder to Maritime Plastics and to bring them a pizza for lunch (sausage and banana peppers, a combination that smelled wonderful and one that I've never tried.  The guys at Maritime Plastics seem to have a very refined taste for pizza.). 

----------

After lunch we returned to the cottage and I began work on the modifications to the platform beneath the starboard settee since I need a larger opening for the water maker.  I cut the u-shaped backer board that was bolted and epoxied to the underside of the platform (as shown below).



The u-shaped frame was made from 1/2-inch
thick
marine plywood and was clamped
to the
underside of the platform
while
the epoxy cured.


While I was waiting for the epoxy to cure, I cut the new (larger) lid that fits into the new (larger) opening.



The new (larger) lid with a coat of
epoxy applied to one side.


The boatyard was able to lubricate the rudder bearing today, something that was postponed during two previous haul outs due to lack of time.  Our boat will be launched tomorrow morning but most of the engine work remains to be done (changing all the belts, fuel filters, etc.)   The haul out work is currently ahead of schedule by about one day.



Thursday, July 18



Very early in the morning I cut a little material off two edges of the lid because I thought it fit too tight and then I coated the opposite side with epoxy.  Afterward, I was off to the boatyard.  Our boat was in the travel lift and some final touch up painting was being done before 8 AM.



Final paint touch ups included the places where
 the boat sat on jack stands and the bottom
surfaces of the keel and rudder.



I always make a point of checking
the paint used for the bottom.
(I specified this paint and
have been using it for
at least 4 years.)


S/V Rainy Days was back in the water
before 10 AM though the engine 

work still had to be completed.


At 11 AM we drove to Baltimore to get some packages that had arrived for us at our marina. We stopped for lunch at On The Border, one of our frequent hangouts, before returning to Galesville.
----------

We stopped by the boat on the way back to the cottage to check on progress--it looks like the haul out work will be completed at the end of today.  When we returned to the cottage, I sanded the epoxy surfaces on the lid and applied a coat of varnish over the epoxy on the top surface.  I also applied some filled epoxy on the underside of the platform where there were some gaps in the backing frame.

In preparation for installing the modified starboard water tank this evening, I made a teak piece to be used as a stop for the tank--in the early evening I cut it to the contour of the hull and epoxied it in place to keep the tank from moving fore to aft while underway.  I allowed the epoxy to cure overnight.



Friday, July 19



Our current plan is for me to take the boat back to Baltimore on Sunday (it will take me 6-1/2 hours) and Maggie will drive our car back (it will take her less than one hour).  She can help me with dock lines on both ends.

We have to be out of the cottage by noon on Saturday.  So, we have a day and a half to get everything moved back onto the boat.
----------

In the morning, I added some fiberglass reinforcement to the tank restraint and then modified the wooden structure that is located between the tank and the platform (this was necessary because of the new larger opening).  We got the mattress back in place in the v-berth and all the settee cushions back in place.  The boat is starting to look like normal again.  (We started up the refrigerator so that it will be cold for tomorrow.)



Lola laying on the dining table. She
has been extremely happy
here in the cottage.


I hosed down the front porch at the cottage since I have been using it as a woodworking shop during the week.  Then, I made a trip to our storage unit to drop some things off.  After the storage unit I drove to Fawcetts to pick up some supplies needed for the water maker installation (planned for the week after next).


Saturday, July 20



We were up early (6:30 AM) on our last 1/2-day in the Hartge Guest House.  We actually moved a lot more things than we simply needed to move in order to live in the cottage--we had to clear out the quarter berth, the starboard cockpit locker, and the cabinet under the head sink so work could be done in those areas.  This morning, all those things had to be moved back to the boat.



Even the Hartge Guest House, as
simple as it is, accommodates
too much stuff.


We were completely moved out by 10:30 AM, an hour and a half ahead of time.  On the last trip to the boat, I drove the dinghy back.
----------

We made a lot pf progress during the past week and the boat looks better than it has ever looked, with matching canvas, a clean and shiny hull, and fresh bottom paint.  Tomorrow we leave for Baltimore...


Thanks for following our blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment