Friday, July 31, 2020

Summer in Baltimore

—Blogpost written by Bob


Monday, July 27



I was up early this morning to sand lightly and get a coat of Cetol to the starboard aft toe rail, the same area where I am replacing a stanchion.  (The new stanchion base should arrive on Friday but I will need Maggie's help with installation on Sunday or Monday.)

In the morning, I cut some pads from a piece of marine plywood I had on hand, pads to be used against the inside of the hull under the v-berth where I am stiffening some structural support.  I coated them with epoxy in the middle of the afternoon.

During late morning, I drove to Annapolis to pick up some items I needed for this week's boat projects (as well as some groceries and lunch).


In the early evening, I pulled the mattress out of the v-berth and disassembled the underlying platform so that I could work in the space in the evening and tomorrow (during the expected rainstorm.)


Tuesday, July 28



I started working on the reinforcement of the v-berth platform first thing in the morning.  The first thing I did was fasten the supporting pads to the inside of the hull.


The reinforcing pads are at the ends of
the horizontal member, far left
side of this image.

The next thing I did was add some reinforcement at the ends, between the pads and the horizontal structural member--I epoxied a piece of fiberglass cloth between the gusset and the horizontal member.



The gusset was constructed from
1/2" thick marine-grade
plywood.


Next, I added fiberglass cloth and reinforced the ends, applying several coats of fiberglass cloth and epoxy.


At this point, both ends of the horizontal
structural member are heavily
reinforced with fiberglass.


In the end I'm not sure how much of an improvement I've made through this effort.  I made measurements for cutting styrofoam panels to fit into the open areas for insulation for this winter.  I put the v-berth back together and will address the actual insulation before the cold weather arrives.


Wednesday, July 29



The first thing in the morning, I lightly sanded and applied the second coat of Cetol to the starboard aft section of the teak tow rail--it's starting to look good!  (I discovered that the replacement stanchion base that I've been waiting for was sent to the wrong address--it is being redirected and I hope to receive it by Friday.)



Starboard aft toe rail with
a fresh coat of Cetol.


I spent a lot of time in the morning, making phone calls, doing online research, and voting (in Florida) by mail.  

One of my biggest accomplishments for the day was figuring out a better way to seal our ice box lid.  All along I have been fixated on a seal that compresses (vertically downward) when the lid is shut (although there is very little space for this arrangement).  Today, I came up with the idea of a hollow rubber seal that compresses horizontally when the lid is shut.




Using this 3/4" x 3/8" hollow rubber seal in the
above position, the left side will be adhered
to the wall of the ice box--when the lid is
closed (on the right side) the 3/8"
dimension will compress.


I ordered the seal from Zoro and plan to replace the adhesive backing that comes with the seal with (more permanent) 3/4" wide VHB tape (manufactured by 3M).  (If this size doesn't work as planned, other sizes are available.)

----------

Just today, we just passed 150,000 deaths from the Coronavirus in the U.S. and DJT and his son (DJT Jr.) tweeted about some whacko doctor in Texas (Dr. Stella Immanuel who received her degrees from Nigeria) who thinks masks are unnecessary and that doctors make medicine from DNA from aliens.  Are we living in the U.S. in 2020?  Who believes this craziness?


Thursday, July 30



Like most recent mornings, I lightly sanded the starboard aft toe rail and added another coat of Cetol, the third of five total coats.  I tried to take advantage of the cooler temperatures in the mornings.  Around mid-morning I drove to Annapolis to pick up some styrofoam sheets at Home Depot for insulating under the v-berth since rain is expected all day tomorrow—this insulation will help to keep the v-berth warm this winter. (We plan to stay in Baltimore this winter season.)

My main reason for coming to Annapolis today was for scheduled 60,000-mile auto service for our Prius in the early afternoon.  While I was in Annapolis, lunch at Italian Market was a given.   The service took longer (and cost more) than I expected.


Waiting in Koon’s Toyota of Annapolis waiting
room for a recall on our Prius,
a software update.


While waiting for the Prius to be serviced (and a recall taken care of) at Koon’s Toyota of Annapolis, I gathered information from the Yanmar Operation Manual (that I brought along) for items that need to be serviced on our boat’s engine and put them on the list for Hartge’s Yacht Yard to tackle in a month or so.

It seemed like I spent more time lately moving projects around on my iPad than working on them, mostly in the interest of accommodating the predicted weather.

Please be safe: Wear a face mask and practice social distancing.


Thanks for following our blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment