Thursday, September 10, 2020

 Summer in Baltimore

—Blogpost written by Bob 


Monday, September 7 (Labor Day)



Besides being Labor Day it is also Maggie's Birthday--her 69th!  We really took it easy today.  The only boat work I did was to add another coat of Cetol to the teak chimney base—it took all of 20 minutes, including the light sanding between coats.


In the early evening, we visited with some boat neighbors at the end of our dock.



Dusk in the marina is a special time.  This is one
 of the many things we love about
living aboard a sailboat.

During the get together at the end of our dock I learned that the boat that flew a Trump flag (the one I was thinking about "egging") was here only for a pro-Trump boat parade through Baltimore harbor and its gone now.  The more I thought about this clear aggravation, a pro-Trump boat parade in the middle of (strongly Democratic) Baltimore, the more hatred I felt.  I wondered if it's that way in Portland too--where the pro-Trump supporters are the agitators.



Tuesday, September 8



After stopping at McDonalds in Millersville for breakfast, we continued our drive to the outlets in Queenstown as a treat for Maggie's birthday.  (We decided some time ago that we would celebrate our birthdays for an entire week, not just a single day.)



A sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit and coffee
for my morning breakfast at McDonalds.



We first stopped at the Columbia outlet—it was always our favorite.  Maggie found three tops that she purchased but, for some reason, I didn’t find anything I really needed/wanted.


On our way back from the outlets we stopped at Fisherman’s Crab Deck in Grasonville for Maggie’s birthday lunch.  (We will, no doubt. celebrate other birthday lunches before this week is over--one of them will involve the consumption of hard shell crabs.)


It got quite warm in the afternoon, a little too hot for me to add another coat of Cetol to the chimney base.  So, I waited until later in the day when the sun was not so intense and added the fourth coat of Cetol.  Overall, it was a beautiful day... 


I haven't been able to drink alcohol while taking the two antibiotics I have been prescribed.  Today, after eight days, I really missed our normal Happy Hours with an adult beverage.



The two antibiotics I have been prescribed.  
The tablets are huge and one 
has a terrible taste.



Wednesday, September 9



Since rain is expected later today, aw well as on Thursday and Friday, I decided to get the fifth (and last) coat of Cetol on the chimney base--a task I completed well before noon.



Lola surveys D Dock and wards off any dogs
 that dare come near the boat.  
(She IS a big cat!)



The sky was overcast most of the day.  Rain threatened away most of my outdoor boat projects.  I spent most of the day reading.





I am currently reading Michael Cohen's new book, entitled Disloyal.  The book details the unethical business practices of the Trump Organization and Trump (cheaply) obtained other businesses by taking advantage of desperate situations.  It also attempts to explain Trump as a cult leader and his complete disregard for protocols and the law. One new thing that surprised me was David Pecker of the National Inquirer caught and killed to story about Trump's affair with Karen McDougal--he never paid David Pecker the $150,000 he owed him for this catch and kill--this was typical of Trump not paying vendors, etc. (I completed reading the book on Thursday.  Too bad that his cult followers, including the hypocritical white evangelicals, don't read books.  I am anxious to read Bob Woodward's new book entitled Rage which I had preordered!)  



Thursday, September 10



Rain was the weather feature of the day--and it rained virtually all day.  We drove to Annapolis and did some errands around a doctor's appointment I had scheduled.  We had a delicious lunch at Carroll's Creek Cafe.  (The doctor's appointment was regarding the cyst that had been infected.  The run of antibiotics had solved the infection and the surgeon advised me just to keep an eye on the cyst and that it probably would just go away with time.  Hmmm, where have I heard that before?)



My lunch was a soft shell crab over
rice--it was absolutely delicious!



We got back to the boat at shortly after 4 PM.  Since I just completed my 10-day course of antibiotics (and I was feeling abused as result of my anal exam), I could finally have an alcoholic drink at Happy Hour and I took full advantage of the opportunity!


----------


As of today, 191,000 people (more than eight times the population of the small town in which I grew up in southeastern PA) have died of COVID-19 in the U.S. (1,176 deaths just today in the U.S.) and still there is no nation-wide mask mandate.  Please stay safe--social distance and wear a face mask!



Thanks for following our blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment