Covering Old Hose Holes
|This photograph was taken after completion of the installation of our new composting toilet. |
The four holes to be covered by the new teak panels can be seen on
the lower right side of this image.
|The cardboard templates only get the pattern so close since there was thickness |
to consider in the plywood panel. The templates are shown here with the
corresponding teak panels.
Making the Teak Panels
Varnishing the Teak Panels
This involved an almost week-long effort of varnishing the panels (mornings and evenings) (and concurrently making minor adjustments to the size) until I had a nice smooth gloss finish. It took 7 coats, sanding between each coat to create the smooth glossy appearance I wanted.
Installing the Teak Panels
Rather than using fasteners, I decided to fasten both panels in place using thickened epoxy. I roughened the fiberglass liner area with course sandpaper and then wiped it down with acetone prior to adhering the new panels. After mixing up thickened epoxy to the consistency of chunky peanut butter, I smeared the epoxy onto the back of one panel at a time and placed them in position and then applied clamps to anything I could find to keep them in position. After several hours the epoxy cured and the clamps were removed.
|This clamping system seems very complicated but it kept the new teak panels |
from moving while the thickened epoxy cured.
Covering Holes Inside the Upper Cabinet
|After sanding the epoxy plugs flat, I removed the duct tape temporarily used below the holes. |
These holes were plugged so that small items in the cabinet wouldn't fall through
the holes in to the cabinet below.
|As you can see in this photograph, the holes are now covered by the new teak panels |
and they look like they have always been there.