Thursday, November 26, 2020

Winter Onboard in Annapolis

—Blogpost written by Bob 


Monday, November  23


We were up and out early in the morning for my consultation with my radiologist for my upcoming prostate cancer treatments.  It was cold (low 40's) and very windy.   On the way back we stopped at Shipwrights Harbor Marina in Deale to check on a new liveaboard slip for us--they were not accepting new liveaboards.  (Shipwrights Harbor Marina was one on my list that sounded promising.)  I had a lot of things on my mind from the consultation and I couldn't focus on a new slip or much of anything else.


Today, 
I couldn't focus on a new slip
or on much of anything else.

We did some grocery shopping for Thanksgiving, picking up a turkey breast and many other holiday dinner ingredients.  I couldn't even enjoy grocery shopping like I normally would have.  I hope tomorrow is better.

To top off the day, our temperature display on our fridge went blank in the evening and the fridge stopped working.  (At this point, I couldn't help wondering why we weren't looking for a condo on land instead of a new slip.)


Tuesday, November 24


I started off the day trying to troubleshoot the fridge by checking all the terminals on back of the electronic control panel and everything seemed fine except that the incoming voltage at the electronic display was about half of what it should have been.  I talked to Horton Marine Services, the local SeaFrost dealer in Annapolis (the company founder's son) and he gave me some troubleshooting tips that I could use before he was available to do any service.  In the meantime I got a call from Cleve at SeaFrost and he gave me some more troubleshooting tips.  After several trials, we narrowed the problem down to the data cable between the control board on the compressor and the electronic display.

I again removed the electronic display unit, removed the data cable, and checked the connection--it looked fine.  Next, I checked the data cable connection on the control panel to the compressor--here was where I found a corroded connection (green color).  I sprayed the plug with (WD-40 brand) electronic cleaner, allowed it to dry a bit, and replugged it back into the socket.  At that point, everything came alive!  Apparently the corrosion at the data cable connection just happened to effect the voltage last night, shutting everything down.  (I was not in a mood to take pictures for this blogpost through all the troubleshooting.)  Both SeaFrost and Horton Marine services are to be commended for their fine service!

The sun was out in full force and the wind that we experienced yesterday had stopped--it was a beautiful day except a bit cool.

In the afternoon we drove to visit two different marinas we have considered for next summer: Holiday Hill Marina and Castle Harbor Marina.


Holiday Hill Marina in Edgewater had 35 liveaboards
but the bathroom/shower facilities were
primitive, putting it mildly.



Slip availability at Holiday Hill Marina was
illustrated on this hand-made handout.
(Apparently, they were also selling
boats that overstayed.)



Castle Harbor Marina on Kent Island had excellent
facilities and the cost was very reasonable.
However, I don't know why so many
slips were available.


Our visits were worthwhile and we saw two extremes in the marinas we were considering.  (We will continue our searching.)

Our fridge went out again in the late evening--apparently the data cable needs a more thorough cleaning than I had provided.  Oh well, we'll do it again tomorrow.  Now, we know the source of the problem.  (If a more thorough cleaning doesn't produce a good result, I may have to replace the data cable--it's a CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable.)


Wednesday, November 25


I was woken up by the sun shining in the overhead portion of the companionway.  (We've been hanging a bath towel over the portion of the companionway that looks out into the nearby parking lot to shield us from people looking into our living area in the evening.)  Lola was waiting to go out into the cockpit where she spends most of her morning.

I turned the heater on in the cockpit and it made "clicking" sounds as it warmed up.  It was 47 degrees F outside and the high for the day was expected to be only 56 degrees.  Rain was expected very late in the day and into tomorrow (Thanksgiving).


Maggie prepared poached eggs
on toast for breakfast!


I decided that since most of the effort involved in fixing the fridge was removal of all the stuff from the quarter berth, I might as well replace the data cable and keep the old one as a spare.  However, I couldn't get the new data cable until 4:30 PM--so I cleaned the terminal again and re-used the old data cable.


Thursday, November 26 (Thanksgiving Day)


Thanksgiving Day was beautiful right from the start!  We slept in a little and had a nice light breakfast.  I took a shower at mid-morning and then took my camera for a little walk.


Thanksgiving Day in downtown Annapolis.


Miss Anne's bow.

At noon the outside temperature was a balmy 63 degrees F!  People were walking around the downtown area in shirt sleeves.  The smell of a cooking turkey was all throughout our boat--it was a comfortable homey smell. 

---------- 

The CDC advised against holiday travel due to the spread of COVID-19.  Baltimore has experienced a surge of the virus--I'm glad we are not there now. As of yesterday the deaths from COVID-19 reached 263,346 in the U.S. which is about 3% of the total cases.  Why can't people simply follow the CDC guidelines (wearing face masks, keeping your distance, and washing your hands)?  It sounds simple, right?

----------

In the evening, the fridge display went blank again!  We changed out the data cable.  However, we could make the new cable lose connection simply by wobbling the cable.  (I think the problem is actually the terminal on the circuit board.  I will have to wait until after the coming weekend to get a new terminal board.)

Stay tuned for more of our activities in Annapolis...


Thanks for following our blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment