Sunday, August 9, 2020

Summer in Baltimore

—Blogpost written by Bob


Friday, Aug 7



Before I started to remove the old (plastic) penetration seal, I could see that it was cracked at all four mounting screws.  It broke into four pieces when I removed it.  The new (ScanStrut-brand) penetration seal used a three-screw mounting pattern which I could fit within the four-screw pattern of the old base.  (Most of the length of the cable was now lying in the hull below the penetration seal.)


Our new (ScanStrut-brand) deck
penetration seal in place.



As I was finishing the outdoor installation it started to rain.  It was just a simple rain shower with big droplets—it didn’t last very long at all, maybe five minutes.


After lunch, I fished the remainder of the cable out from the hull under the penetration seal using a boat hook, working from the quarter berth.  Of course, the companionway drawer unit and the companionway stairs had to be removed to run the cable.  This little project was completed by 3:30 PM and it works (which is always nice).



Saturday, August 8



This morning started with an all out cat emergency.  Lola fell into the water unnoticed and then swam under the floating docks and crawled up underneath the dock (between the deck and the floats).  When we went searching for her, she cried out but it was difficult to locate her cries.  We eventually located her under the dock, perched on one of the dock floats.  Getting her out was a whole other issue--we had to get the dock master to remove one of the dock boards.  She willingly climbed out at that point.


Lola after a bath and after being towel dried,
following her morning swim.



I would have removed the board myself except that I didn't have a star bit for my portable drill.  I was about ready to cut a hole in the deck with my circular saw to get her out if the dock master wasn't quick about getting the board loose.  As soon as we got the board out, she was out through the opening and racing toward the boat.

Maggie and I (yes, it took two of us) gave her a bath in the kitchen sink and then toweled her off the best we could.  She probably thought the bath was worse than falling in the harbor.

I didn't get much done the remainder of the day, except getting caught up on my YouTube videos.  There are two videos in particular that I subscribe to: (1) Finding Simon and (2) Boatworks Today.  Check them out!


Sunday, August 9



So far I have stuck to my pledge of no boat projects on Sundays but I did get the fifth and last coat of Cetol of the aft section of the teak toe rail in the morning--it took all of ten minutes.

It was very hot in the afternoon and we luxuriated in the A/C, reading and watching some TV.

Tomorrow, we plan to drive to Annapolis again...stay tuned!


Thanks for following our blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment