Thursday, October 31, 2013

Managing Lists of Boat Projects

--Blog post written by Bob



I have always used lists to maintain some semblance of organization.  Now I keep my lists on my iPad and my iPhone—of course they are synchronized using iCloud.  When I make a change to a list on my iPhone it automatically updates the same list on my iPad.  My work on these boat projects is primarily evenings and weekends and my boat is about 1/2-hour away from our home by car--so, organization is important.


I have 3 lists pertaining to boat projects:  Future, Intermediate, and Completed.  When I buy materials for a project from the future boat project list, I move the project to the completed boat project list and then enter detailed steps of the project on my intermediate list because sometimes the completion of the project may take anywhere from an hour to 6 weeks.  These lists will be maintained over the next 2 or 3 years, depending on when we decide to leave for sure.




At the end of October 2013, I have 57 projects on my future boat project list and I have 37 projects on my completed boat project list.  This may sound like I am pretty far along in terms of preparation but most of the completed projects are smaller ones that I could tackle and get them out of the way.  I am currently working on about 4 or 5 projects that are broken down in steps on the intermediate list—of course, these are also listed on the completed list.  For example, I am about ready to order my new fuel tank and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to deliver.  The fuel tank replacement project is currently broken down into steps on my intermediate list.

Below is a screen shot of my current Completed Boat Projects list:

Screen shot of a list on my iPad

My lists are always changing.  I find new projects along the way and eliminate some because they simply aren’t that useful.  Some projects cost almost nothing (just my labor) and others cost several thousand dollars.

Thanks for following our blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment