Thursday, January 15, 2015

Downsizing Our Stuff

Part 2: Books

--Blogpost written by Bob


This week I took a big step in my mental preparation for retirement by getting rid of all my engineering books.  Yes, some of them were like trusted old friends but I've noticed that I haven't used them but a few times this past year.

My trusted old (engineering book) friends were passed down to the young (female) engineer taking over my engineering responsibilities and all my other (engineering) books were boxed up and donated.  



Getting rid of my engineering books caused mixed feelings of loss and liberation at the same time--it was a strange mixture of feelings.  I should have taken a picture of my trusted old (engineering book) friends, if for no other reason than to use on this blogpost. 



I did manage to take a close up photograph of some donated
books laying on a table prior to boxing.




I couldn't help but put myself in the shoes of the young engineer taking over my responsibilities, probably thinking that no one uses technical books these days (let alone some that are 40 years old) with the internet being the preferred choice for seeking information nowadays.  I found myself defending my trusted old (engineering book) friends, proclaiming that most of the information they provide cannot be found online.  I pointed out that one of the books was passed down to me from a retiring engineering supervisor early in my career.

I didn't stop at my engineering books.  I disposed of 72 additional books in the following ways:

          10 up for sale on my Amazon seller account
          62 donated to BIG International Goodwill

I'm sure we will go through additional downsizing for books throughout this year--this is simply the first step.


Thanks for following our blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment