In researching materials for this project, the only rigid foam insulation sheets I could find locally were constructed from extruded polystyrene. The reason polystyrene is more readily available is that the manufacture is more environmentally friendly. A 1-inch thickness has an R value of 5 and 2-inches gets an R value of 10.
|Sometimes, you have to make design notes on wood scraps. This sketch |
is for the sizing of the second layer of fiberglass covering the aft wall.
There were several considerations in making the bottom insulation panel:
|This is how it all started--making the puzzle pieces that would|
eventually make up the insulation panels. You can see the
two 1-inchpanels on the aft wall and the single 1-inch
panel on the bottom. This is prior to adding
fiberglass to the panels.
|A little further along in the process, the panels have been shaped and |
covered in fiberglass and are being tabbed together in this photo.
We added 2 inches of insulation (with an R value of 10) to the aft wall of the ice box where the new evaporator plate will be mounted. Once the pieces were cut to fit, we laminated the two layers together and applied a coat of fiberglass to the interior surface of each laminated piece.
This is the plan view of our galley showing the orientation of the
ice box and the components we've added.
Bob's Blob was a means of reducing the ice box volume in a way that consumed an unusable space and added insulation in its place.
|This is the way the shape started--by laminating four |
layers of 1-inch insulation panels together and then shaping it.
|Bob's Blob in place in ice box. In this photo, the single hole for the |
tubing exit has been made and lined with PVC pipe.
|This makeshift cardboard template was used to measure the shape |
of the outboard wall and convey the shape to Bob's Blob.
Once all the fiberglass-lined foam pieces were in place, we taped off all the seams using 2-inch wide fiberglass tape and epoxy with a white pigment. We tabbed all edges back to the original ice box shape--this was for strength and leak-tight integrity.
|This photo shows the finished product with several coats of white-pigmented epoxy. |
This photo shows the drain well and Bob's Blob as well as the new exit hole for the tubing.
A long time ago I designed and built a drawer system using plastic bins--they slide on aluminum tracks. I noticed that the bins tended to insulate our foodstuffs rather than promote cooling. So, I recently added eight 1-inch diameter holes in each bin. With SeaFrost's widget fan, the holes should further improve our refrigeration system.
|Eight 1-inch diameter holes were added to all the plastic drawers for the ice box. |
These were added to promote the flow of cooling air through the drawers.
|The storm clouds gather as Tumblehome plays |
for the group at Annapolis Maritime Museum.
|The storm clouds move eastward after drenching the outdoor performance |
at the Annapolis Maritime Museum.
Thanks for following our blog!