Upgrading The Galley Faucet
Is this the hot water line, the cold water line, the engine cooling
water, or the deck wash pump discharge line?
|Our galley faucet is original to the boat--it's now 33 years old. I have repaired |
the faucet controls once before and the spout has been leaking near its
base for some time now. It's time to upgrade it!
In preparation for cruising the Bahamas, we decided to add a second faucet to handle salt water--this additional faucet will be connected to the deck wash system that is already in place. This will allow us to wash dishes using salt water and rinse them with fresh water (to conserve fresh water consumption).
I chose Scandvik's Model #10050 for this application. It is part of the same family of faucets as the Model #10422. The spout does not swivel for this model and it comes with a 1/2-inch NPS threaded shaft. Both new faucets were purchased from Defender. When we connect this faucet in the spring, we will use a 1/2-inch female NPS-to-5/8-inch hose barb fitting which we already purchased.
|I also purchased this faucet (Model #10050) from Defender |
for the salt water tap at the galley sink.
(Photo courtesy of Scandvik)
Removing the Old Faucet
The access to remove the existing galley faucet is through the middle cabinet door under the port galley sink--it is 10 inches wide and 12 inches high. The connections to the faucet are behind the 9-1/2-inch deep double sink (20 inches from the cabinet door) and the removal of the hose and the fittings had to be done blind.
|This is the area in which to perform the faucet replacement--it is 10 inches wide, |
12 inches high, and 20 inches deep. Like any other boat
project, the work area is very cramped.
Installing Two New Faucets
I installed the new fresh water faucet first. I had to shorten the original hot and cold water feed lines to accommodate the added length of the hoses supplied with the new faucet.
|This image is looking up in back of the double sinks--the image is distorted |
somewhat by the wide angle lens that was used. All the work
in this area had to be done blind.
Interesting Facts About the World's Water
This project took one day to complete and cost less than $300. The project was a little more difficult because we are currently living on board and our pressurized water system had to be shutdown for the day.