Hooking up AIS Receiver - Part 1
It wasn't as simple as hooking up power and a data cable because
of the differing electronic protocols involved
with our onboard equipment.
With the help Fred Street and his basic wiring diagram and equipment
setup, the installation was pretty straight forward.
The ANTISENSE NGW-1 converter converts NMEA 0183 data from
the AIS receiver into NMEA 2000 data (and SeaTalk NG) for the chart plotter.
I mounted the ACTISENSE converter inside the navigation pod using 3M Dual Lock Re-closable fastener tape, each side of which was adhered by VHB tape.
|The ICOM MXA-5000 is a dual channel AIS receiver.|
|I removed a fan that was located in navigation station. The AIS receiver |
tucked in nicely below my primary VHF radio--this made
very short runs for the antenna cable.
Feeding Data Cable Through Pedestal
Feeding the instrument cable through the steering pedestal was the most time-consuming part of this project--it took 6 hours! Part of this time was spent trying to figure out what was going on with some existing wiring. There was a black cable that came out to the hole from the pedestal into the instrument pod that was cut off and not connected to anything.
|This photo shows the old cables coming from the pedestal into the navigation pod. |
There are four black cables and one gray cable--one of the
four black cables didn't connect to anything.
|This photo shows the old cables going into the steering pedestal from below deck. |
There are three black cables and one gray cable and one green cable--this
doesn't match what is coming into the navigation pod above.
Under the deck where the cables came from the pedestal, there was a white wire and a green wire that didn't exit at the top. We snipped the white wire and the green wire from below and pulled the black cable out from the top. As it turned out, the white wire and green wire were spliced to the unused black wire within the pedestal. (We may have saved a lot of time using the old cables as messengers to pull up the new cable.)
|This wiring was apparently part of a previous instrument connection |
that was replaced after a lightning strike several years ago.
After we removed the old unused cables, we fed the new cable into the pedestal from the bottom, pushing the wire up into the pedestal. Maggie was at the instrument pod awaiting its arrival and snagged it with a bent coat hanger wire.
Wiring New Components
All equipment (including the receiver, the ANTISENSE converter, a power terminal, and a instrument cable terminal) were fastened using 3M Dual Lock Re-closable Fastener. This is a very heavy duty plastic fastener tape with VHB backing tape. I have had a 2-inch wide x 10-foot long roll for a long time but it is available from Amazon. I cut 3/4-inch by 2-inch wide pieces for fastening all equipment. This proved to be a good replacement for screws or bolts through the navigation pod.
|This is a close up view of the fastener tape we used for all equipment on this project.|
This project is not complete yet. The AIS did not function with my chart plotter, probably because the chart plotter's software needs to be updated--it hasn't been updated since 2009 when it was installed and there have been several software updates issued by RayMarine dealing with AIS since then. Oh, and did I mention you can't use a CF card rated at over 2 GB--all mine are 8 GB (for my Nikon camera). So, must wait for smaller CF card to arrive...
|My navigation pod is open and awaiting more troubleshooting.|
This is how the project stands right now.