Folly Beach - 2017
Jan 16 thru Jan 19
This morning I drove to Rockville to watch our boat splashed into the water, while Maggie slept in. It had rained during the night. I arrived at the boatyard early (about 9 AM). Matt was still working on the engine alignment while the boat was still on jack stands. Two guys were trying to fix a flat tire on the travel lift when I arrived.
|Smoke gently rose from the chimney of a home close to |
the boatyard. The nearby homes are shaded
by large live oaks and the lack of sun
causes mold to grow on the roofs.
When we arrived at the boatyard late this morning, the boat was already launched. Apparently it was launched yesterday afternoon after I left.
|We got the top of the hard dodger back in place this afternoon |
after Marine Propulsions spent all morning
cleaning up the boat--it looks great.
While we were away at lunch, Anthony Black (the owner) and Matt (the mechanic) took the boat out for a sea trial. When they came back, they had to make a few further adjustments to the engine alignment because the shaft seal was leaking excessively. Anthony Black recommended that I consider increasing the prop size to make propulsion more efficient. I told him that I had been thinking about changing to a 3-blade (from a 2-blade) propeller. He located a used 18" x 12" RH prop that is in good condition ($300) and I gave him the "go ahead" to order it for delivery on Thursday afternoon. A quick haul will be required on Friday morning for the prop changeout. This is expected to improve performance (more easily get to hull speed and maintain it at a lower engine RPM), and improve performance docking in reverse during. It was great to get this kind of input from an expert in propulsion.
|I placed a plug into one side of the tee right off the seacock |
where the inlet to the deck wash pump was attached.
We changed out all the hoses and completely cleaned the existing raw water strainer as we did the relocation. Of course, like any boat project, we made three trips for materials (two of the boatyard's warehouse and one to West Marine, about 30 minutes away). We finished up about 4 PM. While we had water at both deck wash faucets, the pump didn't automatically shutoff (like it normally does) when either of the two faucets were closed--this means that there is a leak somewhere in the discharge hoses that run through the boat. We'll have to look for the leak tomorrow. It is possible that the seawater remaining in the discharge line froze up and cracked the hose during the 25-degree night-time temperatures we experienced a couple weeks ago while the boat was on the hard.
|During our work on changing out the inlet hoses for the deck |
wash system, we noticed this rusty water mark
coming from the fridge's compressor.
|Maggie cleaned all the dodger windows and installed them |
today. Even though the boat is not ready to
leave, its looking like it getting there.
We will have at least one more blogpost from Folly Beach, as we will be moving personal things (clothes, some groceries, and our cats) from our rented oceanfront apartment in Folly Beach to our boat in Rockville. It's going to be a hectic couple of days!