An Old Dinghy Begs a Transformation
Since the purchase of our new rigid hull inflatable dinghy has been postponed because of the expected expense associated with our transmission rebuild, we found a used hard dinghy at our marina that we managed to purchase for only $35.
|This was our $35 purchase. It does not have oars nor functioning oar lock |
sockets and half of the rub rail is hanging loose on one side.
The transformation of this old used dinghy began by:
(1) removing the old registration numbers
(2) removing the old rub rail & all screws & pop rivets
(3) removing the rotted wooden outboard bracket
(4) removing the old broken oar lock sockets
(5) scrubbing it thoroughly (big job!)
(6) reinforcing the oar lock area with several layers of fiberglass
(7) filling many holes & patching some areas on the bottom
(8) applying a dark blue boot stripe (to match that of S/V Rainy Days)
(9) purchasing and installing new oar lock sockets
(10) painting the bottom with green anti-fouling paint
After finding out how to properly size the length of the oars, we ordered 66-inch long oars (complete with a rope wrap and stop) and oar locks from Sawyer Paddles & Oars in Oregon and a new Dacron & foam rub rail from Hamilton Marine in Maine. We will use this dinghy for our month-long sailing trip in July and all of next year. A picture of the dinghy's complete transformation will be in a future blog post. We decided to name the dinghy "puddle" since it will be following S/V Rainy Days.
|The transmission was extracted from the boat this past Tuesday afternoon.|
|By mid-morning this past Wednesday the bad parts were identified: two seals and a complete |
set of clutch plates. All gears looked like they were new, despite being 31 years old.