Part 2: Fixing the Mess
Disconnecting and Labeling the Wires
Well, it didn't work out exactly as planned since the most recently installed wires were blocking wires on the port terminal strip, our selected starting point. A lot more wires had to be removed than just those on one terminal strip.
|This is what the spaghetti wires looked like when we started.|
|As we disconnected each wire they were left dangling into the engine room |
below the electrical cabinet. Note all the white labels on the wires.
|I made individual labels using my Dymo label maker and attached them to each cable when removed.|
Improving Power Feeds
|Drilling the copper bar was a lot more difficult than I imagined since copper is |
relatively soft. Even using a lubricant, the holes in the copper bar were
made very slowly and the copper bar got quite warm.
Replacing the Terminal Strips
|I applied a label next to each positive terminal with the name of the |
cable's function, matching the label on the electrical panel.
Reconnecting the Wires
Relabeling Some Circuit Breakers
Changing the Panel Lights
|This is the old black utility light partially removed from above the hinged|
electrical panel--the now ones are white.
|While the wiring behind the hinged panel is not as neatly organized as I would like, it's |
better than it was and all terminal strips, wires, and circuit breakers are now properly labeled.
|The complete electrical panel located just below the companionway on s/v Rainy Days.|