Baltimore to Onancock - 2016
We left Baltimore at 8 AM on Wednesday, October 5, 2016 after carefully watching the projected path of Hurricane Matthew coming up the east coast of the United States. The hurricane's current projected path north and our path heading south will intersect somewhere between Onancock and Norfolk, Virginia on Sunday, October 9. It is quite possible that the jet stream will force Hurricane Matthew out into the Atlantic Ocean (like most other recent hurricanes) before our paths intersect. We are vigilant but not worried. We are both anxious to leave and I hope that we are not making a mistake in leaving with a hurricane bearing down on us.
Baltimore to Galesville
This is the first day of our new cruising lifestyle! As we motored out of the Potapsco River our breakfast quiche was warming up in the oven in the galley--we ate breakfast as we were motoring along.
|As we were leaving Baltimore one of many ships were unloading their |
cargo. This ship just happens to be flagged in Panama.
|Here the Francis Scott Key Bridge lies just ahead of us--it marks the mouth of the Potapsco |
River. It took about 1-1/2 hours to motor from our marina to the bridge.
|Our (fake) crab and cheese appetizer was very tasty!|
|The latest projected path for Hurricane Matthew already has it tracking out into |
the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday. While we will continue to watch
its path but we don't think it is a threat to us any longer.
We were the only boat anchored in the West River as far as we could tell. The relatively windless evening was cool (in the lower 60's) and we slept "like babies with full bellies."
Galesville to Solomons
We started the engine at 7 AM to make hot water and to get rid of the chill in the cabin. Winds today (and the next couple days) are supposed to be more of the same with rain expected on Saturday. After two days of northerly winds following the rain, the wind will clock around from the south for a time.
|Buoy "1A'" marks the junction of the West River |
with the Chesapeake Bay.
|This is the sea state that we dealt with all day.|
|Here we are moving down the bay under autopilot.|
|Maggie enjoys reading in the cockpit in our anchorage in the Solomons.|
|With dinner, we enjoyed a bottle of our favorite rose |
wine, Conde Villar Vinho Verde.
Solomons to Onancock
|We shared our Mill Creek anchorage with two other |
sailboats, both seemed loaded for the trip South.
|We arrived at Onancock Wharf at 5 PM, about 18 hours before the rain started.|
|Maggie is buying some fresh veggies at a stand in the Saturday morning |
farmer's market. She bought a loaf of whole grain bread, lettuce,
and ghia tori (a Chinese squash). At this point,
it was only raining lightly.
The forecasted heavy rain started about noon on Saturday (October 8) and continued through noon on Sunday (October 9).
|Maggie is bailing out the dingy on Sunday at noon--it had |
about 10 inches of rain in it!
On Sunday, the winds on the bay were 30 knots out of the North--another reason to stay put in the marina. We reviewed the mail we have received in Green Cove Springs and have had it sent to Elizabeth City NC, our next major stopover. (Elizabeth City is at the lower end of the Dismal Swamp Canal in the ICW.)
While in the marina, we were contacted by a T. Lee Byrd (who we later learned is the town's Mayor) by cell phone asking us if there was anything we needed. We didn't answer his call right away because we didn't want to impose on a local resident on a Sunday. However, he showed up at the marina, tracked us down and offered to drive us anywhere we wanted to go for supplies. He took Maggie to the drug store about 3 miles away to get some more cold remedies for me. This is an example of how friendly local Onancock residents are to boaters!
In the afternoon, we watched the Washington Redskins beat the Baltimore Ravens on TV in the Blarney Stone Pub--a very friendly place!
I'm still suffering from the after effects of the bronchitis, still coughing occasionally and dealing with draining sinuses. I've raided our first aid kit of our stash of antibiotics to try and facilitate the healing but it is going slow. I'm hoping I can finally kick the thing before we get to Elizabeth City, NC! We plan to leave the marina on Monday at about noon and anchor near the mouth of the river so that we can get an early start on Tuesday.
From Onancock, we will be sailing to Mobjack Bay on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay and then onto Willoughby Bay in Norfolk, VA.